Sewful Therapy's cork has been tested thoroughly for quality by bag makers for bag makers. The high-quality cork itself is certified and imported from Portugal.
Cork fabric is an eco-friendly and wonderful alternative to leather. It is not only pliable and durable for crafts and bags, it has anti-microbial properties.
Benefits of Cork:
- Sustainable & Ethical Fashion
- 100% Vegan
- Can be harvested without harming the tree
- Biodegradable and compostable
- Anti-Microbial Properties
- Stain Resistant
- Easy to Clean
- Light Weight
- Can be Embroidered On
How to Sew with Cork:
- Use a Leather Needle size 90/14, Microtex 80/12 - preferably new needle
- Preferably give ¼” (quarter inch) to ½” (Half an inch) seam allowance to your panels and Topstitch- 1/16” (one by sixteenth inch) to 1/8” (one by eight-inch)
- Decrease your pressure foot pressure; test sew till the desired outcome is reached.
- Lengthen your stitch to 3.5-4.0 as too tiny of stitches will perforate your cork and tear easily.
- If doing embroidery or decorative stitches on a thinner variety of cork sheet, medium weight or heavyweight stabilizer will help the cork from pulling on dense stitches.
- Avoid sewing near the selvedge - recommend at minimum 1" away from the selvedge as cork adherence is weaker along those edges
- Be gentle when poking out edges
- Do not press down hard/tight on folded cork fabric
Sewful Therapy Portugal Cork is sold in 18" x 52" and will be shipped rolled.
Cork with Microfiber Backing: Flexible and drapey
Cork with PU Backing: More stiff than microfiber backed cork fabric as if interfaced
Please note: Different monitors will have slightly different contrast and color ratios settings. Your Desktop, laptop, tablet and/or phone may give you slightly different color representations of the same material. Therefore, the colors each individual customer sees on his or her screen will not 100% accurately reflect the colors of our fabrics as they actually are. They will be very, very close, but there will be variation.